Monday, August 13, 2012

First Post :)

This is my first post in my new blog. Everyone seems to be blogging so I thought I would join in the game. I though blogging about my tack making would keep me doing something related to my hobby each day. Hmm, where to start? Well I might as well start with why I named my studio PawPrints Saddlery.


Because of these silly critters here. My Jack Russell Terriers, Lily and Moe.

Usually I'm covered in their dog hair but a name with dog hair in it has already been taken so I've gone with their paw prints instead. This blog might not be tack related everyday but that's okay. It might be filled with dog stories or horse related stories or stories about my boyfriend, Jake. Or even stories about this weirdo:
Eclipse, Jake's cat who on a hot day can be found in my sink!

Okay, on to the tack! I've been making tack for almost four years now. Some of my stuff has been really good, others not so much. I've dabbled in everything from Arab presentation sets to Draft tack. My first ever  piece that I created was from a Rio Rondo Western Saddle Kit.



The results were relatively okay. I thought I had the greatest thing since my first model horse! But four years later I can see how impatient I was and how I had read some of the directions wrong. But my skills have improved!!

Trail saddle made fall 2011 modeled by the amazing Fontana


In addition to making various kinds of tack I also paint horses. I use the pastel method and have been doing this longer than I have been making tack. The first results were okay to say the least. But I was happy with my new skills. In the next few weeks I will post pictures of everything I've made up until now but for now here is a picture of my latest horses.




All of these horses were created this summer for a friend of mine in the hobby world. She plans on showing them this season. I'm pretty excited about that. I haven't had the chance to show any of my customs. I have entered the Breyer paint a pony day via Facebook and managed to win a NIB Sato, which I am pretty darn proud of. I'll post what I won him with another day. I may post once a day or twice if bored. This first post is pretty long but I thought it would be good to introduce myself and some of what I have done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment